About the Meeting Rooms
The meeting rooms at various service units are available for public meetings of a civic, cultural, or educational character, but not for social gatherings, entertainments, dramatic productions, or for money-raising or commercial purposes.
Call the specific library to find out if the meeting room is available.
Fill out the application form for the specific library and fax it to the library or bring it in person to the library.
Librarian of the branch must approve the application before putting it on the calendar.
Call the specific library to find out if the application has been approved.
Reservations are not final until you have been notified by the Librarian of the branch.
The meeting rooms are subject to the following regulations:
- Library programs and services take priority and may force cancellation of other scheduled meetings or events.
- The Newport News Public Library System retains the right to cancel a reservation granted an outside group for the meeting room. In the event of cancellation, as much notice as possible will be given. Cancellations on the part of the group using the room must be made at least 24 hours prior to the meeting time. Failure to cancel may result in loss of privileges to use the rooms.
- The room will be available only during the hours that the library is normally open. Reservations need to take into account time for set up and clean up. Groups are responsible for their own set up and the room is to be put back in order as it was found at the close of the meeting.
- Staying past closing hours must be arranged in advance. Groups must leave within one hour of closing. Should a group stay beyond library closing, the group shall pay a flat fee of $35.00. This flat rate applies regardless of the length of time after closing a group stays. If a group stays beyond the hours indicated and arrangements have not been made, staff members shall call police if they refuse to leave.
- There is no fee (except the late usage fee) for the use of the meeting room nor may the user charge a fee for attendance at meetings. The exception is in the case of paid registration of a library-sponsored seminar or workshop where the fee would cover the cost of a speaker or leader.
- Smoking is not allowed.
- Facilities are available for serving light refreshments in some of the service units. Each group is responsible for cleaning this area after using. Alcoholic beverages are not allowed.
- Attendance in the meeting room is limited by the fire code. Limit is posted in each room.
- Requests for use of the room must be reviewed and approved by the Librarian. An application form will be completed which includes the name of the organization, time and date desired, number of persons expected, and name and telephone number of person filing application who will be responsible for use of the room. The room will be assigned in order of receipt of qualifying applicants. Library programs and services take priority. Application forms can be given or faxed to patrons requesting reservations. For groups who meet on a regular basis, a new application form should be filled out once per year.
- Groups must provide their own projectionist, but may use library projection equipment, provided it is requested at the time the meeting room is reserved. Groups will be responsible for any damage to library projection equipment or library audio-visual materials used. Groups must provide their own extension cords. Groups are responsible for checking equipment to be sure it is operational.
- Organizations assume responsibility for any damage to room or contents and must leave the room in an orderly condition. The library is not responsible for any injuries incurred during use of the room, or for any lost or stolen property.
- A public address system may not be used without permission of service unit supervisor.
- The Library System/Librarian is authorized to deny permission to use the room to any group that is disorderly, does not follow library behavior policy, or that violates these regulations.
- The name or address of a service unit, or Newport News Public Library System may not be used as the official address or headquarters of an organization. Mail returned to a service unit will not be forwarded to the organization. Phone calls to the branch for information about the organization or a meeting/program will be referred to the person who filled out the application.
- Children's groups may use the meeting room, provided they are supervised by one or more adults at all times.
- The fact that a group is permitted to use the meeting room does not in any way constitute an endorsement by the City or Library System of the group's policies or beliefs.
- Organizations may not have the use of the meeting room on a regular basis (2nd Thursday of each month, for example), except for City agencies which still must reserve the facility. The next reservation will/can be taken at the completion of the previous meeting.
- Should the meeting room be used for public exhibits or displays, the Newport News Public Library System is not responsible for loss of or damage to any article on display.
NOTE: The staff room of the service unit is not open to the public for meetings.